Saturday, September 8, 2012

my review of My Green Manifesto on Goodreads

My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New EnvironmentalismMy Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism by David Gessner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The canoe trip down the Charles River from Hopkinton to Cambridge is basically the backdrop and metaphor for an extended argument with Nordhaus and Shellenberger about the future of environmentalism. Gessner's ideas are inspiring and he does get you to think about our place in nature, what "the wild" means, and what environmentalism means.

Having enjoyed Gessner's previous books, I'd hoped for more description of life in and along the Charles. Also, having grown up along the Charles, I was amazed to find no mention whatsoever of Rita Barron and her lifelong work to clean up the Charles.



View all my reviews

No comments: