Thursday, March 22, 2007

beach nesting species in decline in Massachusetts

Times are tough for beach nesting bird species. This article from today's Boston Globe lays it all out for you. The Globe article doesn't mention predation by crows, a growing problem for piping plover chicks. I don't know if crows are also a problem for least terns.

The article also mentions Mass Audubon's labor intensive piping plover monitoring program, which reminds me I wanted to write about how what I do, which is basically talk to people about piping plovers and enforce the refuge's regulations protecting them, differs from what the Mass Audubon volunteers do, which is actually monitor the nests. I'll get to it. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of writing about things other than digital telephony.

I know folks are seeing piping plovers on the Cape but I haven't heard of anybody seeing them up here on the Noth Shaw (that's North Shore in the local accent) yet. I wish they'd get here soon. I almost can't wait.

No comments: