Wednesday, October 14, 2009

dark eyed juncos have arrived

Coffee of the Day: George Howell Select Espresso Sorrento blend (I bought a pound)
Bird of the Day: dark eyed junco
Strange Wrack Item of the Day: saltmarsh hay that has a beak

So it's the last day of my vacation and the familia loca doesn't need me for anything and the Ex-Pat is on his way back to Dubai. Must be time for a walk on the beach.

It's impossible to go anywhere on the refuge today without seeing dark eyed juncos. They have arrived en masse. Hundreds of them. They even outnumbered yellow-rumped warblers. This is a sure sign that the season has changed. Betcha we have the first frost tonight.

Of course, they were too busy flying around in search of food to pose for me except for these two guys who were willing to pose as long as the background was the same color that they are.

There were plenty of common eiders around too, but not nearly as many as juncos. The male eiders were looking very funky and alternative in their non-breeding plumage.


From a distance, I saw this thing that looked like a gull resting on the beach. I thought it might be injured and went to have a look. Silly me. It's just saltmarsh hay with a beak.

Did that occur naturally or is it art?

No comments: