Friday, May 9, 2014

April 11 - Nice Weather Again

Looking South
Coffee of the Day: Tanzania Peaberry
Bird of the Day: red throated loon
Weird Wrack Item of the Week: that kiddie car again/still
Invisi-bird Status: Refuge beach: 12 adults. Sandy Point: 5 adults. Number actually seen by me: 1.

It's Still Here


A lone piping plover hung out feeding along the wrack line for hours. It came pretty close to me a few times.
Piping Plover in the Wrack


There were more birds around this week, including a whole lot of long tailed ducks and three red throated loons. Lots of tree swallows too. I almost got fooled by the purple martin decoys on the purple martin colony next to the VCS. Thought only one was a decoy and it had attracted the other two, then realized none of them were moving.

Gull Wing in the Wrack

My favorite question was about the small flies and beach hoppers in the wrack. Someone wanted to know what they were.  Of course I had to talk about how important they are for the birds to eat.

Another question, which I overheard a kid asking a dad, was where could this plastic hatch have come from? I didn't jump in and give my standard half-joking answer "the Goffstown dump" but I did think it. For those who don't remember the Mother's Day flood of 2006, I'm referring to the fact that loads of trash barrels labeled Goffstown ended up on Plum Island. Anyway, I just privately laughed to myself about all the places all this trash comes from and how people all the way up the Merrimack have no idea how much of their trash ends up here. Please don't throw things in the river, okay?

Nobody asked where the gull wing came from.

This Plastic Hatch-like Thing is Still Here Too
The sky cleared dramatically by the middle of the day. I handled all visitors and dogs appropriately and actually saw a piping plover, so I call it a successful shift.

Looking North

Sand Dollar

No comments: