Tuesday, May 27, 2008

i was just thinking about this

La Familia Loca was talking about sea-level rise at the family gathering for Andrea's birthday yesterday -- in relation to the Beach Boys' house and building codes, not to my favorite invisible bird. But it got me thinking. On the way home from work tonight I was thinking, possibly even worrying, about the impact of sea-level rise on piping plover nesting. What will happen to beach nesting species like my invisi-birds?

Evidently scientists are thinking about this too, because my compulsive searching of Google news turned up this article from Science Daily on the impact of sea-level rise on Chesapeake Bay's coastal habitats. It mentions piping plovers, red knots, and sea turtles as beach nesters threatened by global warming. The article has a link to the full technical report too.

No comments: