Sunday, April 18, 2010

a little more history type stuff


The Newburyport Current had a good article about the aerodrome, the Herring-Burgess flight, and the Burgess Museum in Friday's edition. The sidebar gives a little bit of background on Ted Russell. It also highlights the contributions of Bartlett Gould to preserving the history.

I didn't turn up anything in the Daily News or Globe North even though both papers had reporters at the aerodrome yesterday. However, I am very glad I checked because until I read today's Globe North I did not realize that Newburyport had finally decided to honor John Marquand. I've been saying for years that Newburyport ought to have a John Marquand festival. I went on a Marquand reading binge about 10 years ago - no make that 11 years ago - after coming across mention of his Newburyport connection in a book about the Merrimack River. Some of my ancient entries dealing with this topic are:

Alas, I don't think I'll be able to go to the Newburyport Literary Festival this year (other commitments) but it's still very cool that they're acknowledging a great writer who has been unfairly neglected.

No comments: