Thursday, April 14, 2011

rocks and sand

Part of the beauty of Plum Island is the variety of rocks and the amazing colors of the sand.  I could spend days just photographing rocks at low tide.  These are just a few of my recent rock and sand photos.

tidepool near Sandy Point


gorgeous purple rock
I really wondered if the tide placed this rock upright like this or it had human help. People are always making impromptu sculptures out of stuff on the beach, but this looked like it could've ended up this way naturally.
wonder if this washed up this way
There are so many colors in the rocks and in the sand that it almost makes me wish I could paint.
more colors
And yes, contrary to Mark Obmascik's mention of Plum Island in The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession, the beaches on Plum Island are definitely not made of white sand. I don't think the fork-tailed flycatcher story (the chapter titled Forked) is included in the part that got made into the movie anyway.

purple sand

No comments: