Saturday, June 23, 2012

Brief Update

Just a short update on the plover numbers today ...

It was pouring rain at my house at 7:00 AM so after about 5 minutes of internal debate I decided to go back to bed instead of to the refuge. Of course by 10:30 the sun was shining brightly and the puddles were drying up. Sigh.

Anyway, I received an update via email, so biological staff must have been out there yesterday in the heat. Looks like they found good news. As of 6/22:
Refuge beach: 25 pair, 23 nests, 5 chicks, 2 fledged.
Sandy Point: 4 pair, 4 nests.
Town beach: zero.

Yay fledglings! Yay chicks! Yay renesting!

I'm so glad the giant high tide didn't set them back as badly as I feared.

BTW, I don't have any news on the least tern colony at Sandy Point. If I get some time between my three jobs, volunteering, and family gatherings, I'll take a walk down there to see for myself.

No comments: